Old Village Master Painters worked with Cherokee Construction to convert this 19th century church in the Fitler Square/Rittenhouse Square neighborhood into a private residence. We did all exterior painting, and restored and refinished wood panels, ceiling beams, and ornamental work inside.
Built in 1877, this 5000 square foot building was previously home to the Fifth Church of Christ Scientist. Christian Science was founded in 1879 by Mary Glover in New England and the church grew both nationally and internationally through the early 20th century. Its slow decline began in the 1920s and its membership - and number of churches - has fallen drastically since. This church was listed for sale in 2013.
More photos coming soon!
Old Village Master Painters restored and refinished the walnut wall panels to bring out the warmth of the wood at this church restoration. Ed Stulb is shown here (with his helper) inspecting the work.
The interior of the church features an elaborate portal below the organ pipes and very detail ornamental wood work surrounding them. Old Village restored and refinished these, preserving the original features and bringing out the beauty of the wood.