Window Restoration ~ Paint Removal
Paint Removal and Restoration of Windows
The original windows in older homes are part of the fabric and character of your home. Old Village specializes in restoring the over-sized and specialty architectural windows often found on the older homes in Chestnut Hill, Main Line and the historic homes of Philadelphia - like the beautiful palladium windows shown above on a home on St Martin's Lane (registered with the Chestnut Hill Preservation and Historical Association)
Stripped, repaired and repainted ~12 window sashes for original double-hung windows on 110 year old house, stripped repainted and weather stripped 2 doors, and repainted walls and ceilings of three rooms..... We are supremely satisfied!
Restoration includes complete removal of old paint ~ including lead based paint ~
repairs - reglazing - glass replacement - re-installation and final finish
to give you beautiful, original, working windows with energy ratings comparable to new windows.
Restore ~ Don't Replace!
The original wood windows in your older home are likely made of old growth wood that just isn't available today. According to The Old House Guy these windows should last about 50 years before needing maintenance - and if properly maintained should continue to protect your home for 200 years or more. Replacement window manufacturers offer warranties of 10 years and independent sources estimate the life span of replacements at only 10-40 years. Old Village can restore your old windows, maintain the character of your home and allow your windows to continue protect your home for many years.
- Old Growth wood windows last a very long time with proper maintenance
- Retain the antique, wavy, imperfect, distorted, beautiful glass that gives your home character!
- Keep the windows that were crafted to match and fit your house
- Restoration Cost comparable to replacement
- Older and Historically Significant Homes/Buildings are a specialty
- Certified for Lead Paint Removal and Abatement
(Old Village) took excellent care of our home, which is over 120 years old, and comes with lots of "surprises", like shutters that have been rigged up with wire for 50 years or the rotted window sills that couldn't be seen during the proposal phase. These "surprises" never seemed to bother them; they knew exactly how to handle each issue without a big production being made of the problem. Our home looks absolutely beautiful. We would highly recommend Old Village Master Painters and will certainly be calling them again for our next project."
Tight and Energy Efficient!
- Expertly Restored Older Windows are comparable to replacement windows in Energy Efficiency (Univ of Vermont, US Army)
- New Energy Efficient specialty Interior Storm Windows available from Old Village (see below)
- A Greener choice than throwing away absolutely good windows!
- ... read more about myth-busting replacement windows
Old Village Window Restoration
- We remove the paint and glazing off-site using our new EnveloStrip™ process (see below).
- Replace any glass that is broken - using antique glass where appropriate
- Reglaze the windows
- Repair rotted or damaged wood
- Repair and restore the sashes/sash cords
- Add or Replace weather stripping
- Fit the window so it is both weather tight and opens and closes as expected
- Finish paint with high quality, long lasting paints - we can color match your existing vintage colors
- Leave you with an old window that matches your home and looks and works like new (or better)
- Save the windows from the landfill and improve energy efficiency - the Greener Solution
- Old Village can also offer the highest quality architectural storm windows (see below)
EnveloStrip™ Proprietary Paint and Finish Removal Process!
Many older homes have interior and exterior doors with multiple layers of old paint or varnish. We can remove these old paints and finishes off-site using our proprietary EnveloStrip™ Paint Removal Process.
EnveloStrip™ is a new process that we developed to remove Paint, Varnishes, Lacquer, Shellac and other Finishes from windows, doors and more. Not Dip-n-Strip, EnveloStrip is environmentally friendly and safe for wood. The work is done off-site at our facility to eliminate any mess at your home. We can easily handle oversize doors and windows, and homes with large numbers of doors and windows as is common in the older homes in Chestnut Hill and the Main Line.
Lead Paint Removal
Old Village is also EPA Certified for Removing Lead Paint and has a great deal of experience restoring older doors and windows with lead paint issues.
We Preserve the Details
We have an appreciation for the details that make your older home unique. The detail of the window muntins and the carving on the jambs after we removed the paint shows the exquisite care that Old Village Master Painters takes when doing this kind of work on your fine home
Lead Paint removal on the interior of this beautifully detailed window in Whitemarsh
Specialty Storm Windows
Older Windows with the correct storm windows are very energy-efficient and long lasting. Old Village can provide excellent storm windows that are not only extremely energy efficient but are installed on the interior - maintaining the look and character of your home.
"The preservation and renovation of homes and buildings of historic and architectural significance presents a singular challenge involving windows. Often, due to restrictions and guidelines enacted by localities, existing architectural details, such as windows, must be preserved. The VELV-A-LUME Storm Window has been used extensively in these situations. Designed to fit flush within the existing window opening, it's often difficult to detect that a storm window has been installed." (West Window Corp)
Repair and Preserve
This old shutter was really showing its age with a lot the top part and several louvers completely rotted out. We saved it by replacing the rotted wood on the frame using a dutchman repair and reproducing louvers. After some high quality paint this old farm house shutter will be as good as new
After restoration we apply the Old Village touch to bring out the absolute best in your windows and home. These windows and trim are finished in a deep, luxurious black that contrasts beautifully with the classic white walls.